Collet Stop For Collet Without Internal Thread

omni_dilletante

somewhat active
Registered
My lathe takes an odd 2A collet which lacks internal threads for a collet stop. With some help from the board I was able to come up with a design that even I was able to make.

I find that if I make three of anything I want, one of them is bound to turn out pretty good. In this case only one turned out to be a bit off, and all three are functional.

20160915_180716_zpszemeneck.jpg

To create the four tapered pieces I held four square bars in the 4 jaw chuck. I thought I could super glue the bars together so when I turned the pieced around to finish the second side it would be one piece. But the force of the chuck broke the glue joints and when I pulled it from the chuck it fell apart.

Because the glue did not work I created a rim on the part that I could use to align it in the collet. That worked very well.

20160915_180722_zpshfsp93ri.jpg

I was paranoid that the four bars were not centered in the chuck and the parts would not fit right if they were not put in the correct order. So I cut a shallow 8 TPI thread/groove into the part. It is easy to identify the correct order they go together. (one has left hand threads, the other right hand, the first one I forgot to do the thread thing).

20160915_180730_zpsqdwldjp6.jpg

If I had my act together I would build a nice custom fit box to hold these. Instead I always buy jam that comes in the same square jar. I have several drawers filled with these jars. The drawers are labeled "stuff in jars". These fit nicely in one of the jars. In anticipate I will be making addition fittings to go on the stops and they will fit nicely in the jars keeping everything together.

20160915_192317_zpsn7qsirbc.jpg

Hi
"I cut a shallow 8 TPI thread/groove into the part."
Good idea, i may use it one day:encourage::encourage::encourage:
jeff

Back