Combo Lathe/Mill

Yeah, I've been thinking, I can cut a hole for the drive belt and mount it to the underside of the bench. Now I just have to find one.

I think for some people, the Smithy fits the bill nicely. And it appears they are improving them all the time.
They should consider a redesign and move the mill head to the bed like Emco-Maier- it's the best compromise

I would not consider a combo unit, But if I was going to, This would be the one I would buy. It would be so much better than the old style combo units.
1672866314935.png

Ended up finding a Logan 915 pretty close for cheap that i'm doing a deep clean and light refurb on to see if it's worth replacing the 9A.

logan.PNG

logan2.PNG

Nice find. I’ve been puttering with a south bend 9C with manual change gears for about 20 years. I have an older Smithy that I use for milling. As others have said, the strong point on the smithy is the lathe, it’s also a great drill press, but the milling isn’t impressive.

You don’t see lathes like that Logan popping up in my area. I tried to by a SB heavy 10 a few years ago that was sitting outside, on a pallet, under plastic wrap. The owner wouldn’t sell, said he might use it.

Yup, that's the problem I'm hesitant to sell my clapped out 9A because... what if I need to make a round part for the logan? I don't know anybody else local with machinery.

Back