Congratulations to Mr. C. of Calgary Alberta Canada

Doug Gray

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Congratulations to Mr. C. of Calgary.

Mr. C. recently completed his Heavy Duty Knurling Tool kit. Mr. C. had a few trials and tribulations (broken tap) but persevered and now has a tool he can be proud to point to and say "I made that".

One issue Mr. C. run into was that he found the tool was just a touch to big for his 9" swing x 22 Utilathe. While some may have thrown up their hand in despair Mr. C. got stuck in!

He found that modifying the "Body" plate allowed the tool to go a little deeper in the tool holder and all was right with the world.

Screenshot_2022-08-26_215124_480x480.jpg

Here is obligatory shot of the knurling of the tensioning knob.

Screenshot_2022-08-26_220226_480x480.png

And here is Mr. C's Knurling tool taking on some 2" diameter stock.

2inRound_480x480.jpg

All in all an excellent build that will serve Mr. C. for years to come.

Get your Heavy Duty Knurling Tool Kit here. https://d-gray-drafting-and-design.myshopify.com/

Last edited:
He found that modifying the "Body" plate allowed the tool to go a little deeper in the tool holder and all was right with the world.
"Mr C" also shortened the AXA toolholder to get the knurler working. So a good 'rescue'.

The full story is at:
https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/d-gray-d-d-heavy-duty-knurling-tool-kit.5700/

Not all 'smooth sailing' but perseverance paid off!

The knurler specs don't seem to specify the important dimension - toolholder to spindle center distance required.

We have seen it work here for a 9" swing, if it is to be installed on a smaller swing lathe the "arms" could be shortened. If anyone is interested let me know and I could model shorter arms in my software. The price would be in maximum diameter.

We have seen it work here for a 9" swing,
Perhaps a note could be added to the website description with the tool dimensions and a quick method of checking if it will fit the customer's lathe?
As specified in the plans, it didn't work on Mr C's 9" lathe- his pictures show about 1/2" cut off the AXA toolholder. It's not a big deal, but IMO it would be nice to know ahead of time if some extra work will be needed to fit the tool to the machine.

Being able to get a kit with the flat parts already cut to shape is a huge plus - thanks for that! :clapping:

Back