Converting 10" Logan turret to conventional lathe

cellarshop

Registered
Registered
Long story, I own a 10" Logan 200, which I love. Another 10" Logan came up for sale nearby at a reasonable price, so I bought it for a friend. Challenge is that it was a turret lathe. It came with a tail stock, but instead of a saddle/cross slide/compound rest, it has a saddle upon which one of those turret lathe dual position tool post holders is installed. I would like to swap out the existing tool post mount on the saddle, and put a cross slide/compound rest on the existing saddle/apron assembly. HERE IS MY QUESTION. Since I'll be buying this over the Internet, I want to know if all Logan cross slides/compound rests are interchangeable on a given saddle, or have there been any design changes that would require a specific version? This lathe is late 1940s. Unfortunately the lathe is at my friend's house 150 miles away, so I can't do anything to check dimensions or anything.
Some hopefully knows!!! THANKS!!!

I have both and they are interchangeable. So, I believe any cross slide from a 10" Logan or Wards lathe should fit

Yes, all 10" 800/1800 series lathes have the same cross slide. The clutch engagement on the apron is different on the earlier models, but doesn't affect how the apron/cross slide fits on the lathe. I would try to fine a later model cross slide with the pintle base on the compound rather than the earlier two bolt hold-down type. If you are a member, I believe there is a manual in the Downloads where you can get the part numbers.

P.S. A big eBay seller of Logan parts is in NH.

I would save the dual cross slide if you change it out. It only takes minutes to change from one to the other. And it may cause less chatter. And a tool in the back can be handy.
Jim

Back