Converting a PSU to a Power Supply for Electrolysis

The brown sense wire is shorted to a 3.3 V orange wire in the motherboard molex connector - the brown and orange are in the same pin hole.

Rick
OK, if it was on 3.3v I would leave it on 3.3V if it was me.
To clarify - I have the following wires
bundle of black (ground)
Bundle of orange (3.3V)
bundle of red (5V)
bundle of yellow (12V)
single wire - green, grey, purple, brown, blue and white

Rick
It sounds you're doing everything right. Do you know if the computer it was pulled out of run fine with it? Perhaps the reason the PC was heading to e-recycling was due to a bad PSU?

I have to admit I never cut the plugs of the many PSUs I used, but as you're connecting it correctly this should be fine. If it was me I would probably try powering it with green-black wires disconnected and connecting them then(so it has time to settle), but at the same time I have an atx PSU set up exactly like you did that works fine.

I pulled a Thermaltake TR2-430W PSU out of a computer headed to e-cycling with a plan to use it for power an electrolysis tank. The model number is XP550NP. I am having a problem keeping it running for more tan 20 or so seconds. What I ahve done so far:
1. Cut off all the connectors and bundled like colors
2. connected the green power on wire to a black ground
3. connected the brown sense wire to an orange 3.3V wire
4. using 12 volt bulbs I put a load on each primary rail - 1 amp on the 3.3V rail, 3 amps on the 5V rail and 2 amps on the 12V rail.

With this set up the PSU runs and all bulbs light for about 25 seconds then it shuts down. Looking for any and all ideas to get this running correctly.

Thanks
Rick
maybe the load is not enough? you don't say what type of 12volt bulbs. Have you considered trying some ceramic resistors for a higher load.

OK, if it was on 3.3v I would leave it on 3.3V if it was me.

It sounds you're doing everything right. Do you know if the computer it was pulled out of run fine with it? Perhaps the reason the PC was heading to e-recycling was due to a bad PSU?

I have to admit I never cut the plugs of the many PSUs I used, but as you're connecting it correctly this should be fine. If it was me I would probably try powering it with green-black wires disconnected and connecting them then(so it has time to settle), but at the same time I have an atx PSU set up exactly like you did that works fine.
The computer it came from was running fine - I replaced it with a laptop because it was running on an old OS - I wanted to avoid an "emergency" replacement. Someone had suggested that the computer on/off switch may be momentary so I did try disconnecting the grn/blk, turning the PSU on (didn't run) touching grn/blk (started up) and pulled them back apart (stopped running) so it appears the grn/bl, need a permanent connection. Many things I have read show a switch between them.

maybe the load is not enough? you don't say what type of 12volt bulbs. Have you considered trying some ceramic resistors for a higher load.
The bulbs were from my lawn tractor headlights (12V 25 watts) and landscape lights (12V 11 watt). I was shooting for a load of approximately 10% of total output on each rail. Nothing magic about 10% - just a starting point. Most articles I have read indicate a load may be required on newer PSU's but they also indicate the load should be on the 5V rail - not all rails.

Rick

You will have an active output to power the were control on the MB as well as the NIC.

Do not know how the MB activates the rest of the power supply.

One may try Google Google the standard" for the connector and it may have a particular pin identified as power supply enable or something to that effect

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

You will have an active output to power the were control on the MB as well as the NIC.

Do not know how the MB activates the rest of the power supply.

One may try Google Google the standard" for the connector and it may have a particular pin identified as power supply enable or something to that effect

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
just to be clear - the PSU starts and runs as expected for 25 seconds and then shuts down

Rick

Back