Cost To Cnc Rf30 Mill Drill

ih8beingold

Registered
Registered
My son thinks it would be cool to cnc the new to us mill we got recently. I haven't even got it paid off or the power run to it and he wants to take it apart. Wonder where he learned that. LOL If he can learn something from it and benefit from the experience, I am willing, BUT. Before I give him a yes or no, how much would something like this cost. He would do the labor of course, but I really have no idea of component costs for a basic system suitable for an RF30 clone. We are in Canada so you can pretty much double the U.S. prices. Might not be doable right now, but I'd like some opinions please, so I can give him a definite yes or no. Are used parts an option or too risky being electronic? Thanks

Check Ebay for CNC kits. I would think on a machine like that NEMA 23 steppers would work. The 3 axis ballscrew kits are not too expensive, but you want double ball nuts if possible.

my humble opinion: what is the end result he thinks he wants ? to hang a high speed router motor on so it can be used as a router ? i was going to cnc my rf30 and at this point I'm really glad i made the decision not to do it but to build a cnc router with a 14" x 24" work envelope.
if this would be his first attempt to do any cnc'ing, i would suggest a very small and simple router for the learning curve involved.
it would be pretty difficult to used the mill for hardly anything without a good grasp of the cnc process and programming thats required. .
but my brain is old and its lots more difficult for me to learn than a young'. like said, just my opinion.

my humble opinion: what is the end result he thinks he wants ? to hang a high speed router motor on so it can be used as a router ? i was going to cnc my rf30 and at this point I'm really glad i made the decision not to do it but to build a cnc router with a 14" x 24" work envelope.
if this would be his first attempt to do any cnc'ing, i would suggest a very small and simple router for the learning curve involved.
it would be pretty difficult to used the mill for hardly anything without a good grasp of the cnc process and programming thats required. .
but my brain is old and its lots more difficult for me to learn than a young'. like said, just my opinion.

Your reply makes a lot of sense. Thank you

Don't know if it'll work on your mill or not, but Grizzly sells kits for their mill/drills. Hit www.grizzly.com, view the 2015 catalog on pages 602-603. You're looking at $3500 - $7000 depending on the package.

Bruce

DRO only and only if you change the X & Y screws to ball screws

Back