Craftsman 101-21400 Acme Thread Lead Screw?

3Spaniels

Registered
Registered
Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone would have any information about converting the above mentioned lathe to an Acme lead screw and half-nut? Where to acquire parts, etc. would be appreciated.

That lathe should have an acme lead screw. What am I missing. :dunno:

Well, maybe my old eyes are foolin' me, or perhaps the threads are worn that badly. I will find a magnifier and look again. Thanks for the replies fellas.

While back I put two beds together. Did a acme thread search and found a company that had eight foot pieces of 3/4" acme threaded rod. Just had to cut a 1/8" keyway and a little machining on the ends and I was good to go.

Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone would have any information about converting the above mentioned lathe to an Acme lead screw and half-nut? Where to acquire parts, etc. would be appreciated.
It is likely that it is not a trapezoidal thread, Acme for instance, but a square thread. I do not recall ever seeing a high quality lathe with Acme lead screws, this does not mean that they don't exist. An Acme screw would work but you would most likely have to re-engineer the half nut closing mechanism. Inspect a part of the screw where the half nuts can't reach as it will be unworn, it will be obvious to the eye if it is square or Acme.

It is a good thing I have an eye Dr. appointment later this month. The magnifier cleared up what I previously saw as a problem. Thanks guys!

Back