Craftsman 101 6in lathe end mill setup

The milling attachment is nice , although I think it benefits by adding a small vise . Here is what I did .

The Craftsman/Atlas 6" lathe can handle SS . No fair hogging . What kind of SS ? 303 yes . 302 316 , take light cuts .
Mark .

With a collet there is no set screw. With an end will holder there is a set screw that does need to be used.

Can a 6in Craftsman 101 lathe handle stainless round bar? I have just a 1/4hp motor on the lathe.
Oh yes, that's the beauty of single point cutting. With the 6", you can bury the tool until the machine stalls or the belts slip without really hurting anything- that's your limit. Lighter machines just mean lighter cuts; all the capabilities are there.

Learning on a machine that gently stalls out is a lot better than learning on a machine that self-destructs when little mistakes are made. Don't be tempted to add power, at least not more than 1/2 hp.

I think I have a mt2 collet/end mill holder for that lathe . I will check .

Edit . I have an MT3 set up . Sorry

Last edited:
Oh yes, that's the beauty of single point cutting. With the 6", you can bury the tool until the machine stalls or the belts slip without really hurting anything- that's your limit. Lighter machines just mean lighter cuts; all the capabilities are there.

Learning on a machine that gently stalls out is a lot better than learning on a machine that self-destructs when little mistakes are made. Don't be tempted to add power, at least not more than 1/2 hp.
I have yet to cut any chips and I'm just starting to learn about this lathe. Safety is my biggest concern. I'm thinking about installing a plastic chip shield.

I would like to use the lathe to machine and face copper tips for a spot welder. Sharpen drill bits and make some jigs out of aluminum.

I intend to go very slow so I'm ok with taking lighter cuts. The motor is only 1/4 so not much power which is good for a newbie.

I have yet to cut any chips and I'm just starting to learn about this lathe. Safety is my biggest concern. I'm thinking about installing a plastic chip shield.

I would like to use the lathe to machine and face copper tips for a spot welder. Sharpen drill bits and make some jigs out of aluminum.

I intend to go very slow so I'm ok with taking lighter cuts. The motor is only 1/4 so not much power which is good for a newbie.
as a beginner might be good to start with something easier to machine until you get your chops down. Also you wouldn't need to use stainless for the drawbar. Even a piece of threaded rod would work. If it's free material that's one thing, but there are also cheaper options.

Back