Craftsman 101 Redemption

No argument here. I wouldn't mind having another one if I had someplace to put it. It would be fun to rig up a detachable power cross feed on one maybe using a small gear motor.

Yea they are fun little machines. I have one setup in my basement and don't really need another. I have a friend and former student who might end up being the next recipient of one in the near future.

I’ve been using my SB9C without a power cross feed for 35 yrs.
I wish it had it but it does not.
I also have an Atlas milling attachment I adapted to it, used it a lot before I purchased a mill.
I guess we learn to be creative.
Ignorance is bliss?

Over the 30 years or so I have had my 9" South Bend, I have adapted a 12" Atlas bed turret to fit it, installed a quick change collet closer, and even adapted it to take cnc controls on the power feed, cross feed, and tailstock feed. I've removed all of it now, and just use it with 3 and 4 jaw chucks.

I spend a good portion of my day working with CNC machines at the university where I teach, when I get home if I want "play" in my basement workshop it is a welcome release to go back to the basics and that is what I appreciate about my 618 lathe.

Back