Craftsman 12" - Original Motor?

bumbino

Registered
Registered
Hello All,
**EDIT** Got it. Pulley is not bent. Wasn't sitting straight on the strange shim inside it's ID. I have a 3/4 hp capable of reverse wiring. Just need new wiring lol. pretty crusty. I'll be smooth sailing tomorrow.**

So my lathe model is 101.27430. The motor is a craftsman motor (badge pic below). I've read on this forum and elsewhere that the pulley is a 5/8 id. My motor shaft is 1/2. My pulley has a thick steel sleeve insert and home made key. The pulley though has the original part number on it (10-428). The pulley seems to be bent. Either it's bent or not riding straight on the shaft. It's causing a vibration. All that I've been through with this machine, replaced, purchased and cleaned and I still get a vibration that causes chatter in the cut.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
John

20230725_124535.jpg

Last edited:
1/2 hp is a bit small for that lathe but would certainly run it. I would probably just buy a new pulley with a 1/2" bore, maybe just a single
to get rolling, then perhaps upgrade to a bigger motor later...make sure the shaft isn't bent
A variable speed motor is a nice option

1/2 hp is a bit small for that lathe but would certainly run it. I would probably just buy a new pulley with a 1/2" bore, maybe just a single
to get rolling, then perhaps upgrade to a bigger motor later...make sure the shaft isn't bent
A variable speed motor is a nice option
I found that the pulley is not bent. There's a crescent shim inside to make it fit a smaller shaft. It wasn't sitting flush. I have a 1/3 hp and a 3/4 hp motor that I can replace the original 1/2 hp motor with. As it turns out the 1/3 hp has a non removable base that doesn't line up with the lathe. The 3/4 hp does have a removable base that I can swap the base from the craftsman motor. After getting the shim out of the pulley I realized the end I was measuring was a bit funky. It is actually 0.625. The exact same as the shaft size on both "spare" motors. So I'm gonna grab a new power cable and a new belt in the morning. I should be Golden come noon!

Thanks,
John

The issue has been resolved. I went with the 3/4 hp motor. I thought at first that the drive pulley might have been bent and causing a bunch of vibration. Turns out the pulley was shimmed to fit a 1/2 shaft. The shim must have been home made. Removed the shim and installed the pulley on the appropriately sized 5/8 shaft of the 3/4hp motor. A little fuss over mounting the motor, but in the end it's up and running and also got my new drum switch wired up.

I ave a 1/2 hp motor on my 12" Craftsman, and it will slip the belt before stalling. Mike
I haven't gotten aggressive enough yet to make a belt slip. Maybe I'm too nervous that I'll break something or get hurt. Either way I did replace the 1/2 hp with 1/2" shaft to a 3/4 hp with a 5/8 shaft and it's been nothing but smooth sailing. Next to no vibration at all and I'd say powered perfectly.

Best,
John

The 3/4 horse won't hurt anything, just a little overkill, and after all this is America the land of overkill. Mike

Back