Creating custom, hinged bracelets on mini lathe

ssdesigner

Registered
Registered
So my next project is to create a couple of replica prop pieces that function as bracelets. They are hinged with magnets at the oppositte end of the hinged section. I will be making these out of aluminum. I have already made one of these via 3D print so that I know how to make the hinge and tolerances work.

The first 4 pictures are photos of the actual screen used piece:

Attachments

• stasis_screencap_16.jpg
    stasis_screencap_16.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 21
  • stasis_screencap_14.jpg
    stasis_screencap_14.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 21
  • stasis_screencap_5.jpg
    stasis_screencap_5.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 20
  • stasis_screencap_6.jpg
    stasis_screencap_6.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 20
So my next project is to create a couple of replica prop pieces that function as bracelets. They are hinged with magnets at the oppositte end of the hinged section. I will be making these out of aluminum. I have already made one of these via 3D print so that I know how to make the hinge and tolerances work.

The first 4 pictures are photos of the actual screen used piece:
What's it supposed to look like? Hard to extrapolate from your pictures so far.

Here is the metal that I will be working with. The bracelet has an OD of 2.6" and an ID of 2.15". The metal tubing that I purchased has an OD of 3" and an ID of 2"

I'm not sure the best way to attack this to be honest. I know that I'll need to make 4 total rings to get 2 complete pieces because of the hinge.

So do I just face down to outer diameter, and then bore the ID, and then add bevels and go from there? Looking for advice to avoid any missteps. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Turning the OD or boring the ID first probably doesn't matter.

You can do the radius on the tailstock end and start the one on the chuck end before parting off, but then you will have to finish it after. Might be as easy as just turning it around in the chuck. But how do you plan to cut the two halves apart?

The magnet end is pretty easy but how do you cut the steps for the hinge without wasting one side?

Turning the OD or boring the ID first probably doesn't matter.

You can do the radius on the tailstock end and start the one on the chuck end before parting off, but then you will have to finish it after. Might be as easy as just turning it around in the chuck. But how do you plan to cut the two halves apart?

The magnet end is pretty easy but how do you cut the steps for the hinge without wasting one side?

I will cut the two halves apart with my bandsaw. There is no way to make a single bracelet without sacrificing a full ring to get each 1/2 bracelet. The addition of the hinge makes it so that you need more than 180 degrees of the circle to create each part. So I'll need to make 4 total rings to get the parts for 2 bracelets.

I think I might cut each blank from the tube to rough width first. Then bore the inside diameter, face to final width, and shape the two inside chamfers. This takes advantage of the full wall thickness so the tube has less opportunity to go egg-shaped in the chuck. After each of the insides is finished I would go to a tapered mandrel sized to fit my ID and finish the outside and two outside chamfers.

So do you feel that boring out the middle puts the least strain on the part? Is that why you would do it next to last?

Back