Criterion Boring Head 202b dial screw

negatronix

Active User
Registered
Hi all,

I've got a little predicament, and need some help. I wasn't exactly sure if I should post my question here or somewhere else.. it made more sense to post it here.

I have a Criterion Boring Head 202b. I need to find a dial screw for it.. preferably one that is 1/4" longer than the one it comes with. Does anyone know a good source to find such an item. I am not looking to spend a ton of cash on a new one, as I'll be chopping it to make it longer most likely. I wouldn't mind a threaded rod or bolt, but I don't know the thread specs etc. Maybe the larger head has a longer dial screw that matches threads and diameter..?

Thanks ahead of time

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I think that each series has a specific screw. That is, a screw for a DBL-203 will not fit a DBL-202 but I may be wrong. What I do know is that each screw is long enough to allow maximum stable travel for the head. Going beyond the screw will likely result in not enough contact between the body and bar holder, resulting in instability of the bar. Curious why you would want to do this?

Thanks for the reply! I am boring a cylinder for my daughter's quad and am shy by about 0.15 in travel. I'm using a Mesa Tool "bar/tool holder" and it only fits one way into the head which seems backwards as the dial screw turns opposite in my application and gives very little range for the head.

As a workaround... I'm going to try and bore a 3rd hole partially into the bottom of the head which will allow me to flip the tool holder the proper direction, and give me plenty of travel. Not sure how hard the piece that travels is.. I expect it to be a risky and difficult task.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

The DBL-202B head can bore out to almost 6.7" ID using the lateral hole. If that is not enough then the next best thing might be to step up to a larger boring head. I don't think the boring bar holder is hardened but personally, I would not bore another hole in it.

Which Mesa Tool boring tool are you using? Could you show us a pic of your set up?

Back