Cross Slide Exstension

Smithdoor

Active User
Registered
My build on cross slide exstension
Add over 1" of travel
Screenshot_20240131-124344_Drive.jpg

Milling the exstension note the drill bit use for line up the holes to the flat.
Cross feed exstension milling.jpg

IF NO MILL JUST CHUCK UP AND TRUN FLAT

20240125_100523.jpg

Threading the cross feed screw
The other end is unfinished
20240127_114624.jpg

FINISH THREADING

20240127_120807.jpg

READER TO INSTALL

20240131_115255.jpg

Last edited:
I guess this means I am not the only one mad enough to add extra travel on a cross slide then....

This is one of the mods I am doing with the 7x I am rebuilding. New feed screw, new boss to take bearings plus a split nut.

I would think it questionable that a screw cut with a die would be possessed of any degree of accuracy, as it seems that the longer the thread, the likelihood of camming of the thread increases.

I guess this means I am not the only one mad enough to add extra travel on a cross slide then....

This is one of the mods I am doing with the 7x I am rebuilding. New feed screw, new boss to take bearings plus a split nut.
I would slit the nut but as the screw wears it makes to problems. So just use a one piece nut.
I had one lathe that had just you could zero clearance in center but the ends was to tie.

Dave

I would think it questionable that a screw cut with a die would be possessed of any degree of accuracy, as it seems that the longer the thread, the likelihood of camming of the thread increases.
As use the screw it wears and there is no accuracy in screw.
I use for some work a dial indicator and skip the dial.

Dave

I would slit the nut but as the screw wears it makes to problems. So just use a one piece nut.
I had one lathe that had just you could zero clearance in center but the ends was to tie.

Dave

Still going with a split nut.

I am not worried about wear as I can always swap the nut halves for the (multiple) spares I am making. Besides, the new feed screw will not wear so much given what I have in mind when I have finished machining it.

Back