Cross Slide / Facing Adjustment

Impressive work. Hope this can be fixed.
R

Good work. You probably need to check the alignment of the lead screw since I think you moved the carriage by the amount you took off.

Yes I will, but I'm within the range Myford allow to be taken off during a regrind so can just use the available adjustment of the apron and won't have to actually modify anything - and I've only actually moved the headstock end of the carriage forward buy the amount the tail stock end had already moved due to wear.
It is one concern through If I now also take some material off the bed way that the combined effect will mean I would move the carriage too much and have to add a shim or Trucite type material to correct it.

I put the cross slide on last night and running the dial indicator along the parallell in the chuck I'm dead on square - less than 0.01mm over the 150mm travel (with the carriage gibs nipped up tight to lock the carriage)

I think I would stop at this point, its turning parallel and facing flat.

That is a strong possibility, but as I originally mentioned getting it to face square was just one 'fix' of a bit of a mid-life refurbishment I'm planning for the lathe. I have other bits to replace (belts, bushes, some butchered gib screws, new oiling zorks, etc), will check and tighten up the spindel bearings (they have laminated shims for a adjusting for wear), probably give it a new coat of paint, etc. Being able to have the gibs nice and tight along the whole bed travel without binding up at the tailstock end would also be a nice fix.

I think the ML7 may be easier to fix in this regard as:
1. It has flat bead-ways so I only have to deal with vertical and horizontal surfaces, no triangular/pyramid ways.
2. The carriage is “narrow guide” so is held in alignment by only the front bed-way. The vertical surfaces on the rear bed-way are virtually untouched with the only contact being between the tailstock and the front of the rear bed-way. They are therefore good reference surfaces to true the other vertical surfaces up with.

The other option is to modify it to 'wide guide' by changing the carriage to run on the previously unused back bedway. This has been described in magazines so is documented to work. I'm thinking of that as a fallback position (so if heaven forbid I did something really wrong the lathe wouldn't necessarily be scrap).

I have a large stack of older issues of Model Engineer and I remember seeing the wide guide article, I think. If you need a copy of the article, I can try to find it.
Somewhere I have read of building a jig to ride the unworn ways and grind the worn ways.

I have the "Renovating a Myford Lathe" by J A Radford, from ME 4 June 1971, Pg 541 & 542. If you have anything additional it would be greatly appreciated.

Back