Cups for my speaker spikes.

oaklandish

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This project was actually from a few months back but I just now organized my photos and found these. Any Audiophiles here? If not, well this is a common thing for speakers. The designers install these threaded spiked feet in an attempt to decouple the speaker cabinet from the floor they stand on.

Not my speakers but, this is the general idea... kind of scary:
Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 5.03.29 PM.png

Also, in the case of many of these speakers, they weigh a hefty sum. I think mine are about 80lbs each and bear this weight onto three sharp conical spiked isolation feet. It goes without saying that left alone they will drive holes into the wood floor with ease and they need something to counter this. I was using old bear bottle caps and that basically worked to protect the floor but it was pretty ugly. I decided to turn something a bit nicer so I went to the metal supply and found a 2" remnant of some SS variant... pretty sure I got lucky and it was 303. Turned with ease.

IMG_6828.JPG

IMG_6841.JPG

Recess for felt pad
IMG_6859.JPG

Cleaned and polished showing the top of the foot:
IMG_7559.JPG

Felt furniture pad fits into the recess I turned into the lower part of the foot:
IMG_7561.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

Installed under the speaker spikes:
IMG_6899.jpg

Very cool! I still have my spikes, but the speakers have gotten smaller and have come up off the floor, so they're in mothballs. Nice touch with the felts!

Very cool! I still have my spikes, but the speakers have gotten smaller and have come up off the floor, so they're in mothballs. Nice touch with the felts!
Thanks. The recessed pocket for the felt was actually born out of necessity. In the past I tried to stick the furniture pads to the bear caps but eventually the speaker would vibrate enough to make the pad unstick and slide out from under the cap.

Ah, the joy of having a lathe.
Nicely done!
Indeed. I love this thing and it handles pretty much everything my ham fisted minimal machinists skills throw at it... and yet I still keep an eye out for something bigger, heavier and stronger.

Back