Custom Bike Stands

Tony

Registered
Registered
I made these as a wedding present for a friend of mine that I work with. He just got married and for the honey moon him and his wife are riding their bikes to Argentina (starting here in Ontario Canada). Neither of their bikes have center stands and they want to be able to adjust and lube the chains on the road. Since they have to carry everything they need on the two bikes they couldn't find anything small and light enough to make it practical.

The center square tube are made from old office table legs, the braces are parts of an old garden trellis that I packed with pine to stiffen and so they wouldn't be crushed. The brace bracket wires are from 3/32 6011 welding rod. Everything folds flat to the tube and packs inside. They weigh in at about 2 lbs each took me a couple of hours in the shop.

assembly.jpg pack.jpg back_Bike.jpg side_bike.jpg

Nice looking stands!
Very practical!!!

I see you are also in Woodstock!
I thought i was the only one!

Andrew

I'm glad you included the pictures because at first I thought who in the world would ride bicycles all the way to argentina, especially for a honey moon ???. Feeling better after seeing they were riding motor bikes! :)

Excellent idea, might have to do something similiar for mine. clap1#$#$

Thanks Guys

I think they turned out OK.

Andrew

Good to know that there is a fellow Hobby Machinist in the area. We should meet up and compare notes some time.

Notes??? @#@#@#@
I think my notes would comprise of a few lines at best!!
Still trying to figure out how the beat my lathe and mill into submission! @#@#@#

Getting together would be great!
Always nice to know there is someone close by whose brain i can pick!

Andrew

Nice idea for a portable stand. I'm wondering though, the pegs that extend from the axle, did you have to make those also? The pegs that the stands actually have sitting on them.

Looks like you took care of their problem nicely!

Mm

HM

The pegs that extend from the swing arm were on the one bike (Suzuki sv650) the other a Kawasaki versys 650 only had the threaded holes in the swing arm. for the Kawasaki I made a set of pegs out of a pair of 1/2" socket cap screws. I believe that most of the newer bikes that don't have center stands have some provision for pegs like these. Without them simple maintenance like chain lubing would require you to have a bike lift.

Tony

Andrew

Most of my notes are on the back of beer coasters ;0. Any time you want to meet up is good with me. I'm currently off work for 3 weeks. I had a hernia repaired on Monday at the good old WGH.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Anytime works for me except this weekend!
We have a wedding down in Windsor.

I work from 6am till around 4 or 5 and then off to the gym.
So evenings or anytime on the weekends are good!

let me know!

Andrew

Back