Cutting oil/coolant?

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
I'm going to drain and flush the gear box on my vertical mill. It holds about 2 1/2 gallons on light/medium oil and is there a reason I can't used it for Cutting oil/coolant in the mill? I don't think it would hurt anything and it should be better than the water soluble I'm using now.

You guys know of a reason I shouldn't use it for that?

Thanks
Paul

The formulation of cutting oils is different from lubricating oils, which are designed to eliminate cutting, hence the addition of EP and other additives. That said, it will work, but not as well as cutting oil. Likely it will smoke much more, and have an acrid odor. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Was just trying not to buy any cutting, Oh well its only money!!!

Paul

I don't use a lot of cutting oil, but when I do, I find the suphurized dark stuff the plumbing houses well for pipe threading does well. I do have a machine I am considering changing to straight oil. I do mostly API threading on it, so it's low speed and oil seems to work best, especially if I blend a bit of Tap Magic in.

Tony I looked on ENCO for that oil but didn't see any, I guess I'll check around here tomorrow. But being a small town I don't think I'll find any. I'll have to go to the V.A. next month in Pensacola I'll check there.

Thanks
Paul

If you have a plumber's supply house, they will have it.

straight vegetable oil works well, and a mix of vegetable oil/kerosene also works well, even in stainless..
i wouldnt put it in a tank though, only thing i would use in a coolant tank would be water soluble..

I picked up some and it said dark cutting oil but it isn't dark and not like the pipe cutting oil.

I picked 3 gallons and put it in the sump, Fired the mill up and the oil started pumping out. Then a blast of air I figured there was air in the line so I let it run. It didn't get a hole lot better so I figured it was to thick and added about 1/2 gallon of Kerosene.

That did the trick and it was pumping fine. I haven't tryed it out yet as I've been doing the dreaded Honey Doe's. Had to add a 9' X 12' storage area for her shop.Got it all framed up and closed in don't know when I'll get the inside done. Wiring, work bench, sink and other things. I just can't figure where she going to store anything.

Really looks like a work shop to me!

Paul

But anyway thanks for all the help!:tiphat:

Back