[Metrology] Cutting tool steel

If you are talking about cutting the end that starts into the hole, watch out. First, reamers are hardened. Next, most are tapered for the first part of the flutes to get started straight in the work and gradually up to size. Some are parallel in diameter, but have cutters like a drill bit on the very tips of the reamer flutes to open up the hole. If you cut the cutting end of the reamer shorter, you are likely to have big trouble with using it.

I'm looking to shorten the chuck end of the reamer, making it the same length as the drill. That way I'll never have to adjust the table height when drilling and reaming.

I'm looking to shorten the chuck end of the reamer, making it the same length as the drill. That way I'll never have to adjust the table height when drilling and reaming.

Roy has the right idea, Dremel tool with a cut off disk. I have had occasion to cut the shanks off a few reamers several times. The Dremel tool does a fast and neat job. It will leave a small burr on the end, remove it with a grinding wheel or even the Dremel tool .
mike

Great idea on the grinder table. I recently bought three of the HF grinders. First thing i did was disassemble the gear heads and washed out what passed for grease, and replaced with a good quality wheel bearing grease. they ran much quieter/ smoother. Mike

I have several reamers that has the shank shorten just for this reason. I either cut off the shank end with a hacksaw or put it in the lathe and use a cutoff tool to shorten the shank.

Jeff
Are you talking about this one??

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 6.25.56 PM.jpg

Back