Deburring wheels

Larry$

Registered
Registered
A few months ago I bought a deburring wheel, $15 for an 8" X 1". Chinese?? No information other than it is marked #7. I assume that is the grit size. The 3M wheels were in the $65 range. I've got a really poor quality, variable speed bench grinder that allowed me to not exceed the Max RPM of the wheel. I removed the flimsy tool rest & hood, mounted the wheel and trued it with a piece of carbide. After some tests on various metals I'm happy with how it works. BUT it throws grit all over the place. So I fabricated a hood that has a pickup for the shop vac, much better.

How it works: sharp burs are wiped off in one quick motion at a diagonal to the wheel. Corners that need to be further eased are easily done, as the wheel is fairly aggressive. With a light touch a decent polish can be had. If just used for deburring I think the wheel would last a long time but when aggressively using it to soften shapes it wears relatively quickly. I'm going to order another one to have on hand.

You can see results in my post about making a tap handle. Feb. 16, 2023

I've been using a 3M wheel for a couple of years...really doesn't throw grit anywhere.

Import abrasives are a prime example of where getting what you pay for fits a curve with an exponent greater than one. In other words, unless your shop has a dirt floor (no offense to our homey @snoopdog) the good wheels are worth the money for abrasive grit hygiene and long consumable life.

I've been impressed and pleased with the 3M deburring wheel. I've not noticed any significant grit issues, and the wheel seems to have plenty of life in it.

I too have been using the 3M wheels for many years, and the do last a long time, they are worth the price.

Import abrasives are a prime example of where getting what you pay for fits a curve with an exponent greater than one. In other words, unless your shop has a dirt floor (no offense to our homey @snoopdog) the good wheels are worth the money for abrasive grit hygiene and long consumable life.
Dirt floors matter

I bought this from Travers, pricey but no flying grit. Been going good for over 3 years.

Back