Deciding on 833T vs 940 this Week

I actually got to talk to Matt. He mentioned they only had one 833 left in stock. I was leaning that way anyway so it’s now mine. Just the mill, chip tray, and a clamp kit. I will get the power feeds later. I’ll have to build a stand this weekend.

FL 420 (a weird altitude before RVSM),

I read through all your posts on the 833 with much interest. I only have a 140 AMP mig and limited welding skills. I am thinking I can make a table out of 3/16” 2x2 tube? Maybe use 1/4”
2x2 angle for the mounting bolt supports on the top? 1/4” is tough for my little welder. When I made my welding table it was out of 1/8 2x2 angle, and when I welded the 1/4” plate top I kept hitting the duty cycle of the welder.

I actually got to talk to Matt. He mentioned they only had one 833 left in stock. I was leaning that way anyway so it’s now mine. Just the mill, chip tray, and a clamp kit. I will get the power feeds later. I’ll have to build a stand this weekend.

FL 420 (a weird altitude before RVSM),

I read through all your posts on the 833 with much interest. I only have a 140 AMP mig and limited welding skills. I am thinking I can make a table out of 3/16” 2x2 tube? Maybe use 1/4”
2x2 angle for the mounting bolt supports on the top? 1/4” is tough for my little welder. When I made my welding table it was out of 1/8 2x2 angle, and when I welded the 1/4” plate top I kept hitting the duty cycle of the welder.

Hey there INTJ. Ahhhhh, you know something about flying machines! Yeah, those altitudes are weird. I remember when they lowered the seperation from 2000ft to 1000ft vertically and I watched a 757 coming right at me 1000ft up. I thought, "Oh man, this wake turbulence might be bad behind him" but it turned out to be a non event. I was sitting up straight in the seat though. It was the darn crossing traffic that usually gets ya. I have been retired for a few years now. Only 53 but lost my medical. REALLY miss the flying. Would be in the Challenger 350 if I would have been able to stay.

Anyhow, back on track. I believe that is exactly the size of tubing I used on mine. Here is one of my threads in case you haven't seen it. PM 833T
I really wanted to find a piece of square tube to mount the mill too so that it would be a torsion box type of structure but could not find any tube of that size. I am sure they make it but I couldn't find any. I have no problems with my stand as it is so I guess it is fine. Overall, it is a very solid setup. The area underneath my mill was/is going to be taken up with a machinist cabinet. I am currently building a master drill index out of some ash that I have and may start on the cabinet for the mill a little later on. That one will probably be oak.

Congrats on the new mill BTW, you will enjoy it. :)

USAF Pilot 1983-2007. RVSM and GPS were just coming on near the end of my career. I am not flying anymore either.

If 3/16” tube will work I should be good to go. Mine won’t be pretty like yours, even with the grinder...... ;)

Back