Delta Beltsander

gi_984

Active User
Registered
Does anyone have any experience with the Delta 6 inch belt/12 inch disc sanders? I just picked one up in excellent shape. It is a model 31-730. But it is missing the top idler drum guard and side guard. Also missing the original switch. I found a copy of the manual and parts diagrams at the Vintage Machinery website. Problem is there is no part number for the switch. Does anyone have a part number for this?

Thanks!

IMG_20150725_130011.jpg IMG_20150725_130001.jpg IMG_20150725_130044.jpg

There was a sander just like that sitting outside an upolstry shop in a city I offten drive through. I had been eye-ballin it, and waiting for the right oportunity to stop and ask about it (it was always after hours).
Unfortunatly someone beat me to it because it was gone last week.
:(
Depending on the date of mfg you may find parts on "eplacement parts.com".
Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Good morning,
I've been looking for one like this for months. The various Powermatics, Rockwell Delta, & Delta models do come up for sale occasionally on Craigslist. I've been looking for months but they always sold before I could even go look at one. So I was pleasantly surprised when this one came up for sale close by and no one had bought it yet. Even happier that it is in very good condition except for the weird power switch and missing guards. But for the price ($225) I can't complain. The average price for one up here seems to be about $700 and up.
I've looked on eplacement parts and Delta's website. The parts diagrams are the same. Both do not show a switch & part number. I'll be calling Delta next week to see if it is available. I was hoping someone here had one that could see if there was a part number on it. Then try to cross reference the part number with a common switch from a electrical supply store.

If it works why do you want to replace the switch? As long as it is mounted solid and is the right current rating just keep it. I have a 31-280 and it uses a toggle switch also. The top guard is removed so the unit can sand curves with the top drum. You may need to make one and the side one out of sheet metal. Nice unit. You will like it.

I've had a similar machine for over 20 years. I purchased it from my previous employer as part of a used equipment sale. Unfortunately between the time of the sale and the scheduled pickup time someone stole the guards and idler mechanism. Because it was no longer a complete machine they gave it to me for the scrap value of $8.00.
I spent almost a month measuring the system on another machine. Making drawings with the intent of fabricating a new system. Before I got the drawings finished someone stole the idler mechanism off that machine.

You can order any missing parts from Delta, but they won't be cheap. I went to a friends shop that had a sheet metal roller. We made the top guard out of 12 gauge stainless for only a few dollars. I never did replace the side guard and after 20 years see no need to.

99% of the time I'm only going to be de-burring parts. so I want the top guard. I agree the side guard really isn't an issue. The replacement switch wasn't installed well. It is poorly mounted( wobbles) and the switch itself is loose. I feel it is more unsafe with it sticking out. So I will source the original push button style. I spoke with Delta over lunch and got the part number. Good news is they are still available new. Unfortunately the guards are no longer available. So I'll have to find one used.

Back