"Delta-Grip" Keyless Chuck, Feelin' Dumb

I was told with that type of chuck to never put the bit in all the way or that will happen...
Leave around 3/16" inch space on top.

Interestingly, earlier today, I was on a more contemporary tool site and several there were saying key chucks were so last century and hand chucks were the new thing. I've had a Delta keyless for my 14" for fifty years and still use the key chuck.

jack vines

My dad obtained a delta drill press years ago with a Delta-Grip chuck. Anything put into the chuck wobbled badly. I replaced the chuck for him with a Jacobs keyed chuck and new spindle that was obtained at the local Rockwell/Delta service store. New spindle was needed in that Delta-Grip is threaded onto the spindle with left hand threads. Note the above illustration. The jaws are not retained within troughs to keep them equally spaced (spaced apart by 3 springs) and they are very short. Likely not much of a chance of maintaining the noted .010" runout. Am trying to figure how to modify the threaded spindle for a Jacobs taper or something else to repurpose it. The floor base of the drill press is round with the column in the center as opposed to rectangular that is now most common.

Back