Die Holders - how would they have been mounted?

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
A while ago I picked up three die holders with a bunch of other stuff.

Does anyone know what these would have been mounted on?

16b84f8756765c9e085d2b4e5975e66e.jpg

46d027f3a7537455ca297d3fae32c483.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably on some sort of a "telescopic" fixture that would allow the die to follow along as it threads. That fixture would mount to the tailstock or a turret.

My die holder set has one end MT2 that goes into the tailstock and has plain shaft for the dies to mount on and slide. The holders have a threaded hole for what we call a tommy bar to hold the die as you rotate the chuck. It looks like they might have put a dowel in the bar to locate the holder.

Probably on some sort of a "telescopic" fixture that would allow the die to follow along as it threads. That fixture would mount to the tailstock or a turret.
Yep, once the turret/tailstock hits a stop, the die holder slides out on its keyed shaft until the key disengages, then spins free.

Last edited:

Yep, once the turret/tailstock hits a stop, the die holder slides out on its keyed shaft until the key disengages, then spins free.

I’m struggling to picture this in my mind. Do you know what I could Google/YouTube to find this type of die holder? Most that I can find aren’t this design.

Those die holders could have been shop made, so you might not find an exact representation. But here is something similar, you can get the idea.

Those die holders could have been shop made, so you might not find an exact representation. But here is something similar, you can get the idea.

Thanks the the link. Looks like this could have been similar to how mine would have been mounted. I guess the key slot in the top is just to stop the die holder rotating.

I’ll add a mount for these holders to my (very long) projects list.

Back