Digital Calipers- What do you think of these?

I'll keep on keeping my fingers crossed :D

To be a bit more serious I think many tend to forget that when buying something used there is always a chance that there is no knowing how it's been treated or handled. Would you take the word of a used car saleman that the only owner was a little old lady that only used it to get to and from church?

Gordon

To me a caliper (singular) is an instrument where you can read the measurement result. Vernier, dial or digital. Calipers (plural) is the type where you feel your way and then take a reading from something else.

Both types are shown here:
http://www.google.dk/search?hl=da&s...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=vJ1rT8GqNcbSsgahsMG6Ag

I'm not saying I'm right, just the way I personally keep them apart.

Thanks, and agreed on buying used. especially for precision tools there is a high chance of getting burnt, in this case I got it so cheap that the risk was worth taking. I'll keep on using it and hopeully the root cause of errors was the battery type. worst case, I'll be getting a (brand) new one this time.

As for the linguistic naming convention, I must say I was not aware of the difference, and it now make a lot of sense why these 2 similar yet different tools are called that way. the small details make all the difference sometimes. thanks for pointing that out.

One thing to remember, always check your calipers with a standard (IE gage block rod that comes with each mic). If you have an outside mic set, use those standards to check thru the full travel and check it out. To check the inside measuring blades, use a bearing as a standard. The bore of a bearing is more exact than most need and come free used or still cheap new compared to a "setting ring". This attachment made by Fowler, item#Z9020 "universal caliper accessory kit" Is great for measuring grooves, undercut bores etc. Flat, rounded. pointed and pin tip that can be mounted on five sides of the bases. Use the digital to zero on a mic then check +- from the nominal target size. PICT0751.JPGPICT0752.JPGPICT0755.JPG
The little black cups by the allen wrench have ball bearings in them and slide over a outside mic anvil to measure sidewall thickness from a bore to the outside.

PICT0751.JPG PICT0752.JPG PICT0755.JPG

How can I not like that LOL Any idea how long they've had that? If you take a look at these websites you'll understand why I'm asking. I've had mine for over 15 years. I started with thread measurement inserts and just kep t coming up with more ideas.

Here's the latest thing I've come up with. A caliper with a built in pressure device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8U6rxHdqjg&feature=related

Gordon

Nice stuff you have there Gordon. I bought that Fowler set in the mid 90's and I'm sure they were available back in the 80's. Your device is a great idea. Many people have a hard time getting the "feel" for measuring objects with various tools. I was blessed with the experience of working with a great QC man named Gordon Armstrong. When he checked my parts I would make a measurement and see how I scored against his measurement. He taught me the slight "wiggle"on parts to settle it into place and I rarely use the ratchet on mics, I draw my finger across the barrel lightly instead. It takes a lot of practice measuring known sized objects with various tools, Telescopic gages etc, to find "your feel" for it.

Your product would speed up the learning curve and give more consistant results. Great job on those. Do you sell kits for Mitutoyo Absolute Digimatic calipers?

Thanks,
Darcy

One thing though, don't get me started on using a micrometer without using the ratchet. It drives me around the bend when I see somebody doing that. It's there for a purpose and gives the same pressure as used when the micrometer is tested by the factory or a calibration facility.
While working as quality manager in various companies (with up to 30 inspectors) the last thing I needed were discussions on who was measuring correctly :D
Gordon

I just saw too many guys spinning the ratchet and it has an impact hammer effect that scews the result. You are right on the proper use, couple of clicks is best, not twenty.

As some may know my "specialty" is making gadgets (sounds better when I call them accessories :)) for digital calipers. Here are some I've come up with and may give some in here ideas for solving problems they may have run into at times. Measuring grooves and recesses. Diameters and depths.

http://www.f-m-s.dk/MEASURING GROOVES.pdf

Gordon

If this isn't the most suitable thread for this then it's OK to move it. No need to ask me if that's OK :)

I have to say, your product looks great and shows the time and thought you put into it. AAA+++

Back