Dividing Head On Small Horizontal?

I have a Diamond M-20 which is about the same size as your Sheldon with a 5-1/8x20" table. The PM BS-0 dividing head I have is a good fit for this mill and my Clausing.

Dividing head on the Diamond mill.

Attachments

• dividing head side.jpg
    dividing head side.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 11
Just about any "reasonable size" dividing head should fit on your Sheldon horizontal mill. I have a smaller US Machine Tools #1 horizontal mill from the 1940's. One of the accessories that could be purchased for it is a 6" dividing head. I have placed my 11" dividing head on the table, and it seems there is sufficient room to make up to a 6" diameter gear.

The main difference between the Sheldon and the US Machine Tools mill is the fact that the US Machine Tools machine has a rise and fall head. The head itself has a 4 1/2" vertical range along with the table having a 15 3/4" vertical range.

Here's a brochure outlining the features of the US Machine Tools #1 mill.
That's cool! I've never seen one of those before...pretty interesting.

I have a Diamond M-20 which is about the same size as your Sheldon with a 5-1/8x20" table. The PM BS-0 dividing head I have is a good fit for this mill and my Clausing.

Dividing head on the Diamond mill.
Thanks....that helps a lot. Comparing the specs for one brand shows the BS-1 takes up about 2" more footprint in every direction, so probably a bit of a tight fit.

I'm leaning towards BS-0 for the Sheldon and keep an eye out for a deal on a bigger dividing head for the K&T. I see them at machinery auctions here pretty frequently.

Back