Do I have enough pieces to use this tool post?

It actually looks a little too complete.

That exact thought crossed my mind when I asked about the holders. If they are present and accounted for, that's great. But the "extras" in the tool post make me wonder if there one or two insert holders kicking around, with those shims cut to fit.

Not that that doesn't work. I've checked, and it does. Usually. But I think good advice is going to depend on what else is available.

The parting tool is only 1/4" wide, I believe. It is very small. The actual blade is so short as to be on it's last sharpening:rolleyes: That tool holder is holding a blade that is .105" wide and .568" deep. Not really a size that I see for sale right off the bat.
The tools that came with this lathe were not all for this lathe. I did get one other carbide point holder, but it was a 3/4" shank.
This is a Delta Rockwell 11x36 lathe with 1.290" to the center.

I had wondered about the grinding time with my tiny grinder. It is nice to see the options of a smaller bit in a holder.
The parting tool holder is .345 wide and .880 deep.

Attachments

• 20231223_165413.jpg
    20231223_165413.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 8
That exact thought crossed my mind when I asked about the holders. If they are present and accounted for, that's great. But the "extras" in the tool post make me wonder if there one or two insert holders kicking around, with those shims cut to fit.

Not that that doesn't work. I've checked, and it does. Usually. But I think good advice is going to depend on what else is available.
When I got it, it only had one thick shim and the parting tool tightened in it.
I rounded up all of the spacers, the concave washer and the tilting thing and put them all together for the picture. This was just to show what was available. Thanks for the input.

Lucky you, 416 machines better than CRS. Much better. Not at all like most grades of stainless.

I am also very frugal. No way was I going to spend the big $$$$ for a fancy QCTP and all of the holders that you will need. My lathe came with a lantern tool post and a 4 way. Was researching how to make a 4 way and came across an article about a Norman QCTP. Easy to make and a fraction of the cost of a commercial QCTP. All you need is a lathe and a drill to make one. Lots of forum members have made them and use them.

Here is a link to my thread on how to make one. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/norman-style-qctp.79705/ For a newby just starting out in this hobby it was a great learning experience. The only critical dimension is the diameter of the hole in the tool holders. This need to be within a couple of thousands of the OD of the post.

Dave has the market cornered, looks like everything you'd need is in the pictures in multiple.

Back