Do I need a tilting mill table?

you may also want a magnetic angle finder to go with it.
I've got one of those and find it really useful. Being able to set it on a surface, then hit zero so I have a reference is a nice feature. I use it on the hydraulic press when I've got a long shaft to press bearings on so I'm pressing straight down. Used on the mill for quick setups. It is quite accurate.
If I had to do it over I’d probably go with the 7x10
Seems like if I don't get the larger when considering a new gizmo, I end up regretting it. I bought the 7x10. Seems quite ridged & heavy! The degree scale is sort of hit or miss but I use the magnetic angle finder and that makes setup very easy. Z space is an important consideration even on a knee mill.

The space required to clamp work often eats up way more space than it seems it should. I found that to be true on my 8" rotary table also. Had to make an add on 11" table for the RT. I've ended up having to make custom clamps for some projects.

I looked at that one, but had concerns about rigidity compared to the non-geared type:

View attachment 424744

Seems like the gear table sacrifices the center supports in order to get the adjuster in there.

Does it make a difference? Probably not, but always trying to find ways to make the Atlas TH42 more rigid has kind of programmed me to search for items with more supports, not less…
That's exactly like mine. I've been quite pleased with it. And with the magnetic angle finder, it's quite accurate and simple to operate.

Regards

The space required to clamp work often eats up way more space than it seems it should.
I agree but I probably would regret the larger one taking up to much space especially Z. As it is it’s done everything I’ve needed. But all of this stuff it seems hindsight is the only way to know no matter how much I try to figure it out.

7x10 isn’t going to fit quite right on my benchtop mill.

5” is about all the table width will handle without hanging off the edges.

A 5x10 would by jammy, but I haven’t run across one that size so I’m not sure if anyone even makes that…

Back