Do they make a 3" self centering chuck with MT2 mount for a tailstock

Here are a few more that look like they are a little better quality. I knew I had seen them a couple places. You may have to do a search once you get to the web page. They list up to a 4" with MT2.

http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

Thanks SEK, I think I found what I've been looking for. Can you or anyone else tell me if I can use a 4" chuck in my lathe's tailstock, it only $5 more than a 3"? Thanks again everyone.

Should be fine. My only concern might be clearance over the cross slide. It would be a limiting factor. Have to remember that when you open a chuck like that, the jaws start to protrude outside the body diameter.

I think you would be fine turning it to 1/2" though. The actual cutting load will depend on how sharp it is, how much stock you leave to ream, what kind of material.....etc. Since this is a 1" hole, can you not bore it? Or is it too deep. You might also consider making yourself a holder for a boring bar that also would double as a holder for the reamer shank. It would need to be adjustable for height, obviously, and using the cross slide, you put it on center and run it in.

You say you have an 8" lathe, so You should have plenty of room over the ways - however, you might want to measure to see if it will fit over your cross slide. Otherwise it might limit your options significantly.

You say you have an 8" lathe, so You should have plenty of room over the ways - however, you might want to measure to see if it will fit over your cross slide. Otherwise it might limit your options significantly.

Thanks SEK I check that out before I order one. As I sit here thinking about it, I would say know it won't fit over it the cross slide, I doubt the 3" will either. Thanks for the heads up though, you probably saved me return and shipping fees.:)) Cutting the 7/8 mill holder down to 1/2" or 5/8" is still an option. I might have to settle for that..

Back