Does the Atlas 10100 use felt wicks in the oiler ??...

56type

Registered
Registered
Did the Atlas 6" 10100/10200 have felt wicks in the gits oiler located in the headstock ?? I see that the bigger10" & 12" Atlas/Craftsman lathes have felt wicks to meter the oil in the gits oiler cup and did some checking on my 10100 Mk.2 and found out there were none in the single gits oil cup found on the backside of the headstock, directly under the back gear lever. I checked the owner's manual exploded parts diagram and none are listed. I fill the oil cup every time I turn on the lathe and periodically whenever I stop the lathe to take a measurement of the work (which is often since I'm a rank amateur), so I don't think I'm starving the spindle bearings of oil. Also did a search here in the site and a broader internet search with no result, despite broadening the search to include the earlier model 618 Atlas 6" lathe.

Any help clearing this up would be appreciated, as well as any sources for the felt wick (if so equipped), or any workarounds like using Dremel felt buffing wheels as described in the thread on the 10" & 12" Atlas models as a substitute. Thanks.

McMaster has felt in any size one might need. I know my Atlas 10 inch uses felt in the oilers ,don't know if the 6 inch does. We have an Atlas and Craftsman expert that will hopefully answer your question. He probably knows more about them than anyone else.

I just looked at mine and I don't see an oiler- I do see a setscrew though.
Maybe only for the roller bearing version; mine has the ball bearings
-Mark

Last edited:
I just looked at mine and I don't see an oiler- I do see a setscrew though.
Maybe only for the roller bearing version; mine has the ball bearings
-Mark

If you have the 10100 it should be located right under the back gear lever. On mine I have to lift the lever to access it. Mine does have the Timken bearings. I also have an extra 10100 headstock that has the oiler located in the same place, though not absolutely sure, I believe it also has the Timken bearings. It too lacks any felt wick in the oiler cup.

The felt plugs in the two spindle oilers on the 10" and 12" machines weren't added until the late 50's. Don;t know why. Also don't know why they were never added by the factory to the 6" except that the 3950 (first MK2 6") has sealed ball bearings on the spindle. However, I would add them to any of the machines with Timken or babbit bearings that didn't come with them. And continue to top up the spindle oil cups every day that the lathe is used (along with the other locations on the Daily list).

The felt plugs in the two spindle oilers on the 10" and 12" machines weren't added until the late 50's. Don;t know why. Also don't know why they were never added by the factory to the 6" except that the 3950 (first MK2 6") has sealed ball bearings on the spindle. However, I would add them to any of the machines with Timken or babbit bearings that didn't come with them. And continue to top up the spindle oil cups every day that the lathe is used (along with the other locations on the Daily list).

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a package of 6 of the felt wicks for 10" & 12" lathes in order to have the right material. Fairly certain I can come up with a small cutter type punch to get the correct diameter for use in the smaller oiler cup as found on the 6" Atlas models.

If ones that fit were still available from Clausing, I would certainly recommend buying from from them. However, the ones that fit the oil cups on the 10" and 12" will at least give you examples of the correct felt density. Which is quite low. Another place that you might check for low-density felt is McMaster. Maybe search for felt rod. But watch out for felt that is too high density

There is a seller on Ebay who offers the felts, both for the oil ports and the ways. I can't say whether or not he is using the proper density felt. It seems right - oil soaks into the felt every time I add oil - oil does not pool on top.

But I would try Clausing first.

UPDATE: I managed to get out in the shop today and got the cutter punch made and cut a few felt wicks for the Atlas 6". Managed to get about 5 wicks 3/16" in diameter out of one of the felt wicks for the 10" & 12". The punch was easy enough to make, just took a piece of 5/8" cold rolled round stock and drilled a 3/16" hole in the center roughly 1/2" deep after facing it off then set the compound to cut a 90 degree taper to the drilled hole.

Set the felt wicks I bought off ebay on a scrap piece of wood and a couple of hits with the hammer produced a nice 3/16" diameter felt plug. I extracted the felt from the punch using a straight pin swiped from the missus's sewing box (she'll never miss it). I may chuck the punch back up in the 4-jaw and drill it all the way through to use a small rod to press the wicks out in the future.

The oiler took two of the wicks to bring the felt close to the top of the oiler. I used a small hex key wrench to push the first one to the bottom of the oiler gently as I didn't want to pack the material like a muzzle loader rifle, then the second wick was installed the same way. Oil was added before & after installation to ensure the wicks had plenty of oil to soak up and I will check in the morning to see if the oil level has dropped, indicating the material is in fact wicking the oil and not plugging the oiler.

Back