Does this style of key stock have a name.

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
IMG_2328.png
Does this have a trade name? I need one for my import mill but I think the Bridgeport one might be different. I figure I could make the plastic sleeve and drill the hole but was hoping to not have to.

I’ll probably call h&w to get the size of the key but I’m just preparing in case it doesn’t fit.

That key is threaded in so it won't fall out . ;)

I meant the plastic sleeved key style. I figure I will have to drill and tap the key for the threaded part. Trying to decide if I will have to make the plastic sleeve or if that’s a standard item.

just get some hdpe and machine it.
It will be sturdy enough, and slide like that appears to be made for. Is that for the reeves drive to slide up and down? I am surprised they used plastic, but it also is self lubricating, and if there is no real stress then it works. I would think the other side of the reeves is sharing in the load, hence the reduced stress.

edit: cut into it with a razor, and make sure it has no glass reinforcement. if it does, scrap what I said.

Yeah it’s the reeves drive. Are you thinking full plastic key? The front pulley is full plastic key.

just get some hdpe and machine it.
It will be sturdy enough, and slide like that appears to be made for. Is that for the reeves drive to slide up and down? I am surprised they used plastic, but it also is self lubricating, and if there is no real stress then it works. I would think the other side of the reeves is sharing in the load, hence the reduced stress.

edit: cut into it with a razor, and make sure it has no glass reinforcement. if it does, scrap what I said.
Mine doesn’t exist. I do have the whole plastic key I could check.

Looking at that picture it’s a clear plastic. I don’t think I’ve seen glass fiber reinforced clear plastic before.

Back