Dogmeat™ SloMo Grinder

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I like the 'Dogmeat' phrase and I stole it from @LEEQ. So the ™ and all rights belongs to him...

With the cold and dental issues - I've been sitting around updating my 'To-Do' & 'Wanna-Do' Lists.
I'm (was) in the process of dismantling a cabinet in the shop to make room for my grinders, belts sanders, buffer, etc.
I've got a few grinders, and it's time to get them all tuned in, setup and usable.

One piece I have in stock is a Millers-Falls 120a Head, and I'm thinking of making it into a SloMo grinder.
(I'm blaming Stefan on YT and others here for this...)
I have a set of the imported 6" diamond discs and the 6" wheel shown below to put to use.
It's nice and tight, but it does have Oilite bearings in it.
I'm thinking that at <400RPM it should suffice.
Before I go and start designing it all up - I'm looking for Pros/Cons as to it's suitability for use.
Need to figure out a motor drive (treadmill?) for it and all that still.
Thanks for taking the time to look.

0128201714c__R.jpg...Millers-Falls_120_Catalog-Page_001.jpg
....DiamondWheel_01.jpg

I credit Oxtoolco on youtube. Check out his videos. I'll check out Stephan's grinder

I credit Oxtoolco on youtube. Check out his videos. I'll check out Stephan's grinder
Oh crud, it that where the term comes from? I'm in trouble now......

I don't know if that's his original or not, but I liked it enough to liberate it. Very descriptive without being vulgar. I like to watch him build stuff and talk about it. Guys like that are the shop teacher I never had.

Oh ok. Similar to the Glendo set up for scraper blade sharpening. Looks pretty handy. I'm pretty sure they run well below 400 rpm. Personally I was thinking of perverting the side of the wheel on the grizzly wet grinder. Some kind of arrangement to hold a lapping wheel and an angle adjustable table beside it. Then again I don't have a spindle calling to me, "Lee I'm just sitting here not being a tool."

Careful if you start watching Tom Lipton, Bozo will find your shop & will pay you visits.
Mr Wizard makes frequent stops at my mess err garage... errr shop :D

So what does "Dogmeat" mean? I searched on the web, and the meanings I found didn't seem to match what is being discussed here. Does it mean down and dirty, just something that it is not so elegant but still gets the job done? I am looking for a simple diamond grinder. I bought some Dremel diamond disks from Harbor Freight, and man those things go through the carbide. I see the allure; something like this should work really well, and no guards needed.

Back