Draw Bars

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This morning in the middle of a broken stud removal job, I broke the draw bar on the mill/drill head, when I pulled the R8 collet out of the mill, the threads on the draw bar came with it. So to finish the job, I did a quick draw bar project, finished the job, then finished up the draw bar. The original draw bar was two piece POS, so to speed up the process, I used a piece of 7/16”-20 hardened B-7 all-thread, cut to length and a coupling nut to allow me to tighten the drawbar, to tighten the collet.

After I finished the stud repair job on the pump housing, I went back and finished up the draw bar. I modified the coupling nut, pinned it to the all-thread, then a plug weld to finish up. There was a sleeve/collar assembly to keep the draw bar centered, that needed attention. I then made a new draw bar for the new to arrive (hopefully in May) Rockwell vertical mill (a man should own 3 or 4).

Then reality set in, I got a service call and had to go repair a boiler in a cottage cheese plant. So the fun in the shop ended.

After I posted this a friend called and I made another draw bar for his mill this morning.

I just had to ordered another length of 7/16”-20 B-7 all-thread.

Jack, your description exactly matches my drawbars for the Hercus lathe and the Victoria horizontal mill. No problems in numerous years.

Back