Drill Chuck - getting it off the arbor

Ben17484

Registered
Registered
I have a nice keyless drill Chuck on an MT3 arbor, that I’d like to fit to an MT2 to use it in my tailstock of my lathe. How is best to seperate the drill chuck from the arbor? I assume it is possible?

dde05a360e2b31f7188a0ee19d04eb0e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they can be expensive. You can make them yourself with a mill. They won't be hardened unless you use material that can be hardened, but for single use you will find it works. I have a set that I made for a single use and have used it more than once.

they can be expensive. You can make them yourself with a mill. They won't be hardened unless you use material that can be hardened, but for single use you will find it works. I have a set that I made for a single use and have used it more than once.

It had occurred to me to try to make them. It seems they are just a wedge with a u channel milled in to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure there is no screw hiding inside the back of the chuck.
If there is a hole in the back of the chuck and wedges don't do it you can try drifting it out.
You also might be able to drill your own hole, ideally by putting the chuck into a tapered lathe spindle/adapter.

Back