Drilling and threading lube

I;ve recently found that Relton's A-9 is even better than Tap Magic (aluminum) for drilling holes smaller than .040 in Aluminum. Tap Magic broke drills, A-9 doesn't. I'mnot sure that the same is true for larger drill/tap sizes.

How is the smell?

Oily, verses cinnamon.
I'd prefer the cinnamon, but using the Tap Magic after about 15 holes (.120 deep/through) one drill didn't clear and broke in the hole. Using the A-9 I drilled another 120 holes or so, Finished the run of clutches. Drilling .038 holels in 6061 T6 aluminum. 3000 rpm.

Oily, verses cinnamon.
I'd prefer the cinnamon, but using the Tap Magic after about 15 holes (.120 deep/through) one drill didn't clear and broke in the hole. Using the A-9 I drilled another 120 holes or so, Finished the run of clutches. Drilling .038 holels in 6061 T6 aluminum. 3000 rpm.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I get tired of my clothes smelling like tap magic and A-9 seems cheaper too.

I have a couple sticks of boi-lube (sp?) and like it for tapping, drilling and on the band saw blade.

Sometimes I use Tap Magic, sometimes Rigid, and sometimes bacon grease. I keep all three on hand and really don’t see a great deal of difference in them for drilling and tapping. In fact, I just drilled and tapped a whole bunch of holes in my BP for DRO install and bacon grease worked great.

I like a castor oil base. Been using CRC TrueTap lately. I put it into squeeze bottles with a needle tip and a neodymium magnet inside the bottle to keep it in place at the machine. It's good for tapping and cutting and goes a long way.
(from mobile)

I use castor oil to make fuel for my RC model airplane engines. I never thought to try it as a cutting oil. It is cheap and plentiful.

I use castor oil to make fuel for my RC model airplane engines. I never thought to try it as a cutting oil. It is cheap and plentiful.

...and what makes it great for glow engines is the same thing that makes it great for cutting- castor oil has a very high decomposition temperature compared to most common oils, so it does it's job longer under extreme conditions. Plus, it makes your work smell like a RC plane, invoking happy memories. At least it does for me.

Back