Drillmaster 18 Volt cirdless drill

jroma1

Active User
Registered
i recently purchased a Harbor Freight cordless drill #68239. I want to replace the chuck. Problem,how do I remove the exsisting chuck? When the exsisting chuck is fully open you can see a phillips head screw at the bottom. I tried to remove the screw and couldn't break it lfree,which way do you turn, counter clockwise or clockwise.

Is anyone out there familar with this type of drill?

Any comments suggestions greatly appreciated. THANK YOU

Joihn

It's a left hand thread, and that usually means the chuck is screwed on the output shaft with right hand threads. After you remove the screw, chuck a 3/8" hex key and use a deadblow hammer or the like and you can probably break the old chuck free.

If all else fails drill the head off the screw and then take the chuck odd and the screw will come right out.

Paul

I have one of those drills, come to think of it. If you can't get it off, I'll look at mine and see how mine is built. I need it off anyway. I have a project for a small, variable speed motor.

If everything els fails,use brute force and ignorance and a bigger hammer.(It never fails to break something) :think1:

Ian.

might I suggest that HEAT with a torch is your best friend. blow the torch into the open chuck while the drill is clamped in a vice (chuck up) I would use a Milwaukee little battery screwdriver and after it is really how, a quick twist left hand thread remember, and it will loosen up. HEAT . . then I would chuck a hex into the chuck as tight as I could get it, then HEAT the bloody hlee on the chuck body, attach a small socket on the hex that's clamped in the chuck and being it is sso hot, it will just spin right off. they are put on with Loctite.

should that not work, a cobalt drill to drill off the head of the screw will work nicely and a cut off disc will saw off the chuck. . . not a fun job but if your careful, you will not do too much damage to the threaded shaft the chuck is screwed on to. I have never seen a left hand threaded chuck, ever. . . did that work for 40 plus years. . . . . . just sayin.

Shoot me if you must, but here is my 2 cents. A decent chuck is worth more than an hf cordless drill. If you need good cordless, get a dewalt with regular(not lithium) batteries and the chuck you want. In my experience lithiums don't like the cold and cost more. Lots of people make good tools with cords, but DeWalt=cordless goodsness. Over the past 12 years or so I have used all manner of cordless in remodeling. I have only owned dewalt for good reason. I feel strongly that they are the only cord free tool worth owning save maybe a file or hacksaw. My Dad has bought into several junk drills. They are never up when he needs them,run down quick, and the batteries have a short overall life wether you use them or not. Good luck whatever your choice. An impact screwdriver that you smack with a hammer is good for breaking screws loose. Make sure it is set to tighten to loosen the left hand screw.

Back