Driving a horizontal arbor from an ER40 collet?

AR. Hillbilly

Registered
Registered
Dumb question of the day.
I recently bought a very old Horizontal mill.
It has a Brown & Sharpe 10 taper.
I found a company that will make me an ER40 collet Chuck for it.
I’d like to leave that Chuck installed for endmill use but also to run a horizontal Arbor. I feel like I could make my own arbors this way.

If you limit the feed rate to the torque capacity of the collet, it should not slip, but the number of teeth engaged with the work at one time may be the limiting factor. One of the advantages of a horizontal mill is the ability to bring more power to the cutter, and you will be giving that up. ER collets run pretty true, so that should not be an issue.

If you limit the feed rate to the torque capacity of the collet, it should not slip, but the number of teeth engaged with the work at one time may be the limiting factor. One of the advantages of a horizontal mill is the ability to bring more power to the cutter, and you will be giving that up. ER collets run pretty true, so that should not be an issue.
Thank you sir.
The mill comes with a 1” arbor so I’ll have that to start with.
Seems a lot of cutters I see are 1 1/4”. I might need to source a 1 1/4” arbor and spacer set in the future.

Hi @AR. Hillbilly , I need an ER chuck turned on a collet also . What is the contact information for your Co. ? Sorry I can't help you with your question .

Dumb question of the day.
I recently bought a very old Horizontal mill.
It has a Brown & Sharpe 10 taper.
I found a company that will make me an ER40 collet Chuck for it.
I’d like to leave that Chuck installed for endmill use but also to run a horizontal Arbor. I feel like I could make my own arbors this way.
ER collets are great.
I have found they will slip. An end mill will sometimes dig into the work if you take too big a bite.
I have a 30 taper with all the basic sizes for larger end mills. End mills don’t slip in these.

Hi @AR. Hillbilly , I need an ER chuck turned on a collet also . What is the contact information for your Co. ? Sorry I can't help you with your question .
I just googled Brown. & Sharpe 10 ER40 collet Chuck.
Not very many options popped up but one on eBay from Icarbide in California. You hit the buy it now and they will then make the piece and ship within 5 days supposedly

Back