DRO Pros magnetic DRO kit for my PM12x36T

Here's another example. I wanted the cross slide scale on the tailstock-side of the carriage so it couldn't possibly be damaged by the chuck and didn't take up room on the chuck-side of the carriage. I replaced the grub screw with a hex-head bolt that could be accessed from above (instead of the side) with a slimline wrench, then mounted the scale spaced out from the cross slide (toward the tailstock) to provide access to the locking bolt from above through an access window.

In my case I installed the scale facing down using a custom fabricated bracket. But this could just as easily have done it with the scale facing the tailstock and set away from the cross slide on simple stand-offs. Here's a drawing of how it could be done and still obey KISS rules.

screenshot_4587.jpg

Below are some photos of my install, and the entire build is documented here.

Showing hex-bolt that replaced grub screw. Encoder facing upward.
IMG_6376.jpeg

Custom bracket showing scale facing down, encoder facing up.
IMG_5677.jpeg

Cover plate on tailstock side for added protection.
IMG_5684.jpeg

After anodizing.
IMG_6382.jpeg

Easy cross slide locking access from above.
IMG_6388.jpeg

Slimline wrench for access to the locking bolt from above. This is the wrench. This is the Hex-Bolt.
IMG_6393.jpeg

Simple sheet-stainless slide covers the access hole when not in use.
IMG_5745.jpeg

IMG_5737.jpeg

Most be a reflection, mine didn't have a mark. I had glass scales on my 1340GT.
Lathe DRO X axis 1.jpg

PM1340GT top slide   lock.jpg

Thanks David for the really great ideas. Thank you all for the input. The DRO arrive yesterday, one package came about noon, the 2nd with the most of the mounts, x axis Andy he EL 400 didn’t com till 9:45 pm ups just dumped it on the front porch. Luckily the baby girl herd them and barked to get my attention or it would have been gone by daylight. Because we live out in the country we don’t get get our mail, or most of the time packages unless they are from Amazon. Until well past dark(4:30pm) that is when the porch pirates come out. I have installed ring cameras around the property now. So now they just wear a mask and hoodies so they can’t be identified. So I just keep a 12ga pump with 4 buck, by the front door. It’s 45min + for the sheriffs deputy‘s out here. Sorry about getting OT. I been thinking that putting the lock on the head side will solve the problem. I don’t use it much any way. So it won’t be a big deal. I kind of like the stand off and wrench idea from David. I have some 3/8 6061 to make the spacers out of.
CH

Back