[How do I?] Drum switch wiring (and compatibility check?) for a 7-wire Craftsman motor

OCJohn

Mostly harmless.
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Please forgive me if this issue has been beaten to death like a rented mule. Self-help electrical problem solving is not in my DNA. If I don't go blind reading drum switch threads and wiring schematics, I'm sure to burn my house down...

Context – my recently rescued Craftsman late model 12 came with this motor. It was wired for 110v using a cheap plug and ungrounded lamp cord(!) without a switch. The drum switch was found unused in the same garage. (An omen?)

What I've got:
  • Dayton “chopstick” pattern drum switch for 220-550v – model 2x441
  • Craftsman 3/4hp dual voltage, reversible motor – model 113.12241, or...
  • Dayton 3/4hp dual voltage, reversible motor – model 6K5I9A*
    *I was hoping to use this Dayton motor on my band saw, but whatever makes the most sense.
  • My garage has 110v and 220v, so I can run either to the lathe.

Qs:
  1. Is this switch compatible with the 7-wire Craftsman for Fwd/Rev functionality? [Preferred]
  2. If not, is the switch compatible with the 4-wire(?) Dayton motor?
  3. If yes to either of the above, can someone please help me with the correct schematic or link?
  4. [Bonus question] Could/should there be an emergency power switch upstream of the drum switch?
Thanks in advance for any help y'all might have to share.

IMG_1739.jpegIMG_1880.jpegIMG_1889.jpegIMG_1899.jpeg

Yeah you should be able to use the Craftsman motor with that drum switch- let me check my notes and see if I covered that motor before.
If not I'll sketch up something
-Mark
Looks like 240 volts is the only option with that drum switch- note: move black wire from drum 4 to drum 1 if required to swap rotation vs. switch handle
240vCraftsmanCCa.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool! Thanks Mark. I’ll get back over the weekend and let you know it goes.

You're welcome- by the way what is the model of that Dayton drum switch? I want to add it to my list of known model numbers
It looks like 2Z441 is that correct?

Thanks
Be sure to provide a ground wire to the motor case and the drum switch case- with 240 volts it's doubly important

In the sketch drum switch terminals 1 and 2 are the handle end- just to be clear
14 gauge wire would be fine for a run of about 12 feet or less to the outlet

Last edited:
Back