Dunno if I'm thrilled or annoyed at Grizzly. Both I guess.

bulgie

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Back in January I ordered a follow-rest for my 1982 Enco Taiwanese lathe, a model 92010, 12" swing. I took a chance, ordered Grizz part #P9249800, made ~40 years later than my lathe, and it bolts right on, hole placement matches my lathe with no fettling. Amazing!

The annoying parts:
Their sales confirmation order, which came seconds after I ordered, said "Estimated Arrival: 3 - 6 Business Days" If they'd said Months instead of days, they would have nailed it.

The box that arrived about a week ago contained no follow rest, only something called PX1670004A Rack 31-15/16" — appears to be the thing that lifts the head on their Rong Fu clone mill-drill. Anyone need one of those? I now have a spare. https://www.grizzly.com/parts/-rack-31-15-16/px1670004a

I told them about it, told them the box was addressed to me, and the packing list does show the correct part (follow rest).
They replied, asking me if the box was addressed to me, and did it have the right part on the packing list? OK, I'm sure they're very busy, so asking them to read and comprehend my email was maybe expecting too much.

Anyway they finally did deliver the right part today, and it fits my lathe, hallelujah.

It's amazingly cheaply made though, so sloppy I probably will basically rebuild it, using just the main casting and scrapping their crappy sloppy parts.
And it arrived with one of the plastic knobs broken. No damage to the box, no sign of it being dropped. The knob looks like it broke when they drove in the split-pin that holds it in place, due to the fit being so poor. Maybe they could send me a new plastic knob, but it would probably just break when I drive in the pin in their off-center hole. So I'll be making new knobs out of metal.

So I paid over $100 basically just for the casting. If I had fabricated the thing myself from raw materials it would have cost a little less, and I would have had it months ago, back when I needed it. I only ordered because it said 'in stock', and I ended up having to make the project I wanted it for a different way.

Oh well, it's still kinda cool that they sell parts that fit my 40+ year old lathe. This is the second Grizz part I have purchased that fit that lathe.

Viva Grizzly!

You can be thankful and PO'd at the same time. The mind is a very flexible organ

A couple of years ago, my wife's Sears rototiller had transmission problems and I pulled it apart. I was able to correct the problem but I needed to replace two bronze bushings and get a new gasket. I ordered them from Sears parts and the order arrived a few days later. The bushings were fine but instead of a gasket, I got some part for a completely different machine. I called Sears parts and explained the problem and they said that they would send the gasket out. Weeks went by and no gasket and we were getting well into gardening season. Sears said that there was some delay but the gasket was on its way. More weeks past and no gasket. I went online, using the Sears part number and and found another source and ordered the gasket. It came a few days later. About a month later, the Sears gasket arrived so I now have a spare should I have to crack the case again.

Apparently,Sears parts no longer stocks parts but uses third parties for suppliers using drop shipping. The bushings came from one supplier while the gasket was supposed to come from another. As to why the delay for the second gasket shipment, I don't know. The shipping address on the package was correct. I suspect that the supplier didn't have it in stock but created a shipping label so he could bill Sears.

At least with Grizzly, they don't deal with 3rd party suppliers with the exception of their Chinese manufacturers. If they don't have a part in stock in their US warehouse, then it will most likely have to ship from a slow boat from China, assuming that the Chinese contractor has the part in stock. If not, then i will have to wait for the next production run as well. So far, I have had great luck with their replacement parts service, knock wood.

I have a Enco 92020 and have been considering a steady rest. I would be interested in seeing a link to your follow rest. I've tried getting the #P9249800 number to come up on the grizzly site with no success.

Thanks

I have a Enco 92020 and have been considering a steady rest. I would be interested in seeing a link to your follow rest. I've tried getting the #P9249800 number to come up on the grizzly site with no success.

It's here:
https://www.grizzly.com/parts/-complete-follow-rest/p9249800

Funny, it still says "be the first to review" even though I did, then later got the email saying my review is now "live". (It's not.) My review was 3 stars, but not very complimentary about the precision, I mentioned the sloppy fit and the broken knob. Do they suppress unfavorable reviews? Never mind, doesn't affect me, I've moved on!

I forget what Grizz lathe it's supposed to fit but I'm pretty sure it was made from the same castings as my Enco, maybe yours too. I don't know what the difference is between a 92010 and a 92020, but since their model numbering scheme changed later, yours and mine are probably similar vintage at least. Yours is 12" swing too I presume?

Let me know if you need any measurements off it, like the spacing between the two attachment holes where it bolts to the saddle. I can tell you the holes in the saddle on mine are M8 x 1.25 thread and the holes in the follow rest are sized for that size SHCS. Didn't come with the mounting screws, but I had 'em.

Back