Duplicating a pistol barrel

Yes, this is typical. There are some locking lug mechanisms that have a cam shape -and that would be harder to do on manual equipment.

I'm sorry about my first advice about putting it in the lathe. At first glace it seemed possible but, I later corrected myself. -Sorry 'bout that...

Yes, turn the major OD on the lathe and cut the grooves all the way around on that large diameter. Put it on a rotary table in the mill and remove the backside. Since you cut the grooves already, removing the material on the backside will be a little easier.

In the mill, you could cut it horizontally or vertically... Really depends on the cutters you have on hand and how tight the radii are needed as the backside approaches the lugs. -Your call...

Ray

Ray.. its a uniform radius. not egg shaped like a cam shaft.
ist like the lugs and grooves were turned first. then the excess not needed for the locking lugs was milled.. then the barrel turned to size.
And yes .. the available blanks will have enough material to make a full corcumferential lugs.. and then take off what it is not needed.
I found blanks at gun parts corp… the N.O.S. barrels they have are indexed with a protrusion of metal.. my barrel is not indexed (its that old!) And besides.. I can get 3 blanks for what one N.O.S. barrel cost!
Thanks for the input guys,
Shawn

Rotary table would work nice with a lathe chuck on it for holding purposes.

Back