Dust Collector

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How many CFM do I need to properly catch grinding dust and grit from a surface grinder?

CFM by itself may not be the answer here as air velocity will play a large role in determining how much of a 'load' the moving air can carry. The diameter of your collection hose/pipe will play a large role in coming up with a final figure. Sadly, I do not have any numbers for you, as I've always done something of a trial and error experiment when it comes to that sort of thing.

I use flood coolant so everything stays in the surface grinder other than a little mist which doesn't travel far. I'm thinking of designing a poly-carbonate housing to mount on it. I would think a vacuum cleaner would do the job. It just depends on how the hood covers the surface grinder. The more enclosed the better. I assume you are talking about the stock setup on the surface grinder.

Last edited:
I would think that a shop vac, especially one of the larger ones, would be more than adequate. I use a small shop vac for my palm sander and it does a pretty good job of getting most, if not all of the dust it produces.

I tried adapting my large shop vac down to a small hose that connects to the palm sander. The huge amount of air trying to pass through the smaller ribbed hose made such a screaming/howling noise that it sounded like a 747 was trying to take off in my basement, thus plan 'B' with the smaller shop vac.

Of course the worst part of the 747 in the basement is that I also ended up with TSA setting up one of their inspection stations with full body metal detector and baggage x-ray station at the bottom of the stairs, plus a couple of guys in full protective gear with orange baton flashlights giving signals in my driveway. They really got under my skin when they wanted to take over my bedroom for use as their detention and interrogation room. :grin:

Back