Dust pickup for a Shars tool grinder

Here is the professional reference for a partially enclosing hood. Looks like my memory is close enough.
View attachment 343117
Thanks John that’s a great reference. I can the see I need to extend the lower part of the hood forward as far as the external diameter of the wheel to ensure capture of the particles that typically come off the wheel more or less directly downward from the point of grinding.
The airflow from the shop vac is probably not sufficient to draw particles into the hood and through the vac but I might try a small centrifugal fan I have to draw the air through the hood. It’s around 350 cfm and has good static pressure.

Here's one that you can apply to the capture vent you already have. It's based on capture distance and wheel surface speed.
Annotation 2020-11-05 132338.jpg

If you want to take it a step further put generous rounds on the edges. Improves the flow.

Today I used the tool grinder to make a carbide tipped scraper blade from junk. I have some broken carbide molder knives and some worn out files that I made into a scraper. Silver soldered a piece of the carbide onto a file I had ground a flat on. Then ground the end to a curve on the diamond wheel. Just had to try it to see if it actually worked. I've never scraped anything before. Found a piece of cast iron in my junk collection. Didn't have any of the oil based ink but did have an art brayer and some artist oil paint. I didn't want to goober up my surface plate so I used the ground top of my mill vice. It worked! I think I need more of a curve on the scraper and the file isn't an ideal handle. My technique wasn't good and I got longer cuts than ideal. I did get the iron fairly flat. The carbide scraped the iron easily.

I didn't know if the solid carbide would silver solder or break. I know that the carbide on brazed tools is a different composition. I've got some extra pieces of carbide and some dull solid carbide bits if any one wants to use their tool grinder to do some experimenting with the carbide. The shanks can be used to make single lip profile end mills. Contact me through this site.

Back