Easy Way To Lock The Spindle On A New G4003g

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to cut a short shallow grease galley, approximately 0.025in deep x 0.125in wide, with a 0.125in radius cutting tool, along the ID of an aluminum tube. Picture a shallow round-bottom keyway.

I intend to do so by chucking the work in the stationary chuck, and feeding a boring bar and cutting tool with the carriage, taking just a couple thou each pass.

It occurs to me I could just select a spindle speed that won't be likely to turn by itself.

Any other ideas?

Can you put it in the lowest gear?

If it's a low tolerance grease gallery, even if it moves a little you can always align it back up if needed.

I'm betting the lowest gear will do it.

Put it in back gear then put a block of something across the ways under the chuck, use a screw jack against one of the jaws to lock out the lash in the back gears, simple as can be.

I use low gear all the time to scrape oil groves in bronze bushing. Works like a champ

If you really want to lock it up, engage the back gear without disengaging the pin between the spindle gear and the back gear drive. Just be sure to disengage one or the other before trying to run the spindle with the motor, or you'll be letting out the magic blue smoke!

Back