Ebay score turns into good practice

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I've had occasion to need a smaller but accurate block to pinch a part in a vice while sitting on angled blocks or in an odd setup. This lead me to buy a set of smaller blocks just for odd jobs. $30 shipped isn't bad.

Screenshot_20230615_204206_eBay.jpg

I got them in and measured the flat sides on my surface plate with a tenths indicator. The largest face was out 0.0003". I'm thinking not bad!

Then I checked the perpendicularity and my happy turned to sad.... The sides were 0.002" out of perpendicular on each side. How annoying! Lol! Apparently the guy who made them wasn't much into grinding accuracy. :grin:

I reground two larger blocks this evening. The over all size is irrelevant for the purpose. I put one at a time in my Hermann Schmidt vise in a way that gave me access to two sides at the same time.

Once the two sides were ground I could finish the opposite sides directly on the magnet two at a time. Then I knocked off the ends sticking out the side of the vice and then put both directly on the magnet to bring them to the same thickness.

The result is the large surfaces are both 0.0001" out. Probably wear in my poor old surface grinder. The blocks are so square my modified surface gauge and tenths indicator could not pick up a difference in perpendicularity. They are more square than my ability to measure on all sides

That Hermann Schmidt vise is a hell of a tool. First time I've used it to attempt such accuracy. I'm so completely happy with how these came out and how well my old surface grinder does on small projects. The finish isn't excellent but it never was.

20230617_191102.jpg

I just ground the little blocks. They came out nice. Within 0.0002" is good enough. Perpendicularity is extremely good.

Now I can't wait to use them!

20230618_102849.jpg

Here is the two smaller blocks wrung together. No oil or tricks.

20230618_102529.jpg

I guess the finish must be pretty decent.

Nice!

I have that same vice that came to me from deceased co workers tools.

He had no one to come get the tools and most of them were rusty due to having been stored in a shed for years. When he died the company was at a loss as to what to do and we decided to take turns selecting what we wanted out of the boxes. This was preferred to the company taking possession of them (Which they didn't want) as they would have put them in storage and eventually 5S'ed them.

No one wanted the tiny little useless vise so I took it not knowing the value.

Then I found out what it was.:oops:

Back