eBay VFD?

fatphatboy88

Registered
Registered
I just bought an old MSC version of the RF30 that came with a 1.5hp 3phase motor. I'm pretty sure that the motor is not the stock one that came with the machine. I cant find anything on the internet about this motor and I've emailed the company with no response. I am just trying to get yall's opinion if the 2.2kw or 1.5kw VFDs on eBay will be fine to run my mill? The VFD will be hooked up to a 220 single phase outlet. Also, I'm leaning more towards the 2.2kw(3hp) one just in case the Chinese VFDs are severely over rated. Also, this will be my first time wiring up anything AC, let alone 3 phase AC so bear with me. I'm great with wiring 12v dc stuff though.

Here is the plate on my motor.
IMG_20140329_181242_zpspsrftl0q.jpg

I just bought an old MSC version of the RF30 that came with a 1.5hp 3phase motor. I'm pretty sure that the motor is not the stock one that came with the machine. I cant find anything on the internet about this motor and I've emailed the company with no response. I am just trying to get yall's opinion if the 2.2kw or 1.5kw VFDs on eBay will be fine to run my mill? The VFD will be hooked up to a 220 single phase outlet.
Mine runs just fine on the 1.5KW version, it's a 2 HP motor. I made sure to buy from a seller that promises US support and the 3 year warranty. I do have 3 phase power here so I can't speak to derating for single phase input, the manual does not say anything about that and it's quite good.

In reality a milling machine is a light load for these things, much smaller than a pump which runs more or less continuously and they cover them extensively including slave pumps run on secondary VFDs.

Good Sir,
Only thing I see different about your motor is it is marked for straight 208v 3ph. Kinda odd, at least in my area. However, your drive is the perfect answer to take care of any problems. Just be sure you enter all the motor nameplate information into the VFD. Google up the drive manual and follow it closely, questions? Just write back!

If you feel confident wiring DC, you should do fine with AC also. Just remember with higher voltages to keep one hand in your pocket!

Back