Electronic leadscrew

Well being I will not be making any parts for the space program, this could be an interesting project. In a way a step towards CNC but I really do not think it will ever go that far. Thinking this is on my list now

Edit: Sorry, forgot about your positional question. ELS has to be programmed with the number of pulses per revolution you have on the spindle. This can be used internally to create a once per revolution 'index pulse' or event to be used in place of true positional input from the spindle. As I said, inaccuracies will happen. If you had servos on both the spindle and leadscrew, you could use the positional feedback to logically tie two points in their respective rotational axis' to better simulate a mechanical drive train.

Thanks

This is how I assumed that our BP lathes operated but wasn't exactly sure, X and Z are servo driven and begin motion at a defined spindle position via encoder? Thus enableing tapered threading with a 2 axis control. I believe the combined error should be quite small, spindle speed fluxuation + lead screw and servo motor error, pretty slick.

I have done tapered threading on them in the past. Have thought about measuring a longish (4:1 LD) thread at various positions to gauge accuracy but I really don't care so long as the part is fit for use. I also find measureing threads over wires tedious at best (torture at worst) so have never done it.

Back