ELLIOTT OMNITOOL MT 48/4000 Lathe

argeng

Registered
Registered
Hi Gang,
Is anyone familar with the ELLIOTT OMNITOOL MT 48/4000 Lathe, I have just acquired one but have not moved it home yet so I am not to sure of its age, it was advertised as a tool room lathe. It is badged OMNITOOL not OMNISPEED, may have 50mm spindle bore, 48 to 4000 rpm. I wasn't game to run it at top speed when I went to ckeck it out, at 2600 it was humming along, for me this is quite a step up from my LeBlond 13'" which only runs to around 600 rpm. There is nothing about this model on the Uk.Lathes site.
Regards
Bruce

Hello argeng I don't know anything about the omnitool lathe, but you're going to love the finish that you can get with the higher RPMs versus the 600 RPM.
Phil

HI Phil,
Honestly I can not wait, my Le Blond is nice and for its age is in good condition, but compared to the Elliott it is a baby. I will be going from single phase 2hp to I think 7 or bigger Hp 3 phase with a huge increase in speed and overall rigidity, plus QC multifix tool post. One of the things that has bugged me for a long time is the surface finish I have been able to achieve. This machine I am hoping will cover a number of areas, has a decent swing, 380mm, 900mm between centres, large 50mm splindle bore and high speed I can still do smaller diameters. Luckly its has taper attachement, fixed and travelling steady, 3 and 4 jaw and face plate. Live centre and drill for tail stock. I only ran it up to 2600 when I checked it out and that was humming along, 4000 rpm on a lathe this vintage which must be at least 40 years old with 50mm bore I just did not think happened.

Cheers
Bruce

Elliott.JPG

Last edited:
Well got the lathe home yesterday, it wasn't quite as straight forward a move as I was anticipating. Due to my driveway sloping and curving then leveling out the tilt slide tray would not actually come all the way to the ground. After much re-positioning and cursing finally got it off by running it onto some pipes and then playing with timber blocks and a lage pinch bar. Luckily the guy doing the move was a good bloke and persisted and stuck at it until we had the lathe up on the level section. others would have said, have fun and then unloaded at the bottom of the driveway.
I pulled the top cover of the headstock off last night and all the internals look fine, the spindle being about 52 mm bore really makes for a big piece of gear.

What I need to find out is how much gear oil and what type should go in the head stock, there is a well at the back which has the pump for lubrication off the bottom. Oil is pumped up to a distribution plate which has drip holes and copper lines going to the bearings. Because of this pumped lubrication I am guessing that the entire box does not need filling, probaly only the well reservoir.
The same for the thread/feed gearbox, how mmuch oil to what level and the same for the apron.
All three have sight windows with a revolving cog.

Any thoughts from the group would be much appreciated.
Regards
Bruce

Back