Ellis Band Saws

redcatrr

Registered
Registered
Any metal worker needs a band saw. I purchased an Ellis 1800 in 1999; the first project I made with it was a simple "carriage" from .250 angle iron and casters so I could roll it around the shop. (It weighs about 400 lbs.) It is the only machine that I purchased new, and it has paid for itself a dozen times, just in the construction of my building. It miters 50 degrees right or left, and cuts as accurately as you can measure. It is not cheap and you will be hard pressed to find one used, as I have friends who are lined up to buy mine, in the event I ever wanted to sell it. I am not employed by or paid by and have no other business relationship with Ellis Mfg. besides than purchasing their bi-metal general purpose blades, which are also excellent. In the day of inferior junk, it is refreshing to find something that will give you years of trouble free service. There may be others out there as well, but you won't be disappointed in Ellis.

Kevin

Worked for a while in a shop that had an Ellis. Wonderful saw. At first glance it looks like it might be another cheapie, but looks can be deceiving, as the Ellis is a fine piece of machinery. It worked just as well and just as accurately as the Hyd-Mech that I also had experience with. If I had a choice between the two, I'd take the Hyd-Mech (I don't think anyone would argue that choice) but the Ellis would be my first pick if I had to spend my own money. Either way, both great saws and I'd love to have either one. :drool:

A buddy purchased a Chi-Com band saw for about 25% the cost of the Ellis, with several attachments and blades. I pointed out that the blade guide rollers did not even contact the blade. I tried to adjust them, but the slots had to be milled out to make it work. It was (is) a total piece of hockie.

Kevin

Back