emco super11 change gears

Making threads on the lathe in imperial or metric, takes a lot of time to innstall the right gears, is you have the right ones. I have the hole set of gears with my Emco Maximat 11 but never used them.
My experiance is to take the right tap or dies to do the job. Always a good cut and never the nurses with the thread Index on the lathe etc. With the fear to distroy your part.
Only if you have to cut more than 25 pieces or so it is wurth to setup the change gears. Ofcourse good quality taps and dies are expensive but also very precisely and you can use them over and over again.
Compare to costs, gears are not scheap the cuttingtool is not cheap specialy the inside ones.

It is sometimes a pain to change gears but it doesn't take that long to change them. Sometimes, when the fit class calls for it, you have no choice but to change the gears and screw cut the work. Personally, I almost never use dies for external threads but I do use taps for smaller threads. Nothing wrong with using taps and dies; I just enjoy cutting threads. The Super 11 has a very precisely made gear train, which makes gear changes relatively simple.

On the Super 11 you only need to mesh the 30t gear with the 127 thats on the gear quadrant adjusting the gear & quadrant positions accordingly , no other change wheels are needed for most of the common metric pitches - see you QC gearbox for what's available without additional gears.
I regularly cut metric on my Maximat.

Back