Enco 13X40" lathe ID

tominboise

Registered
Registered
Hello - new member that has been lurking for awhile. I have been looking for a lathe for a home shop for some time. Used machine tools in general are scarce in my part of the country. A CL ad popped up for a lathe that's a couple of hours away. It is listed as an ENCO 13X40" gear head lathe and has some tooling with it. Guy is asking $2200. Anyway, here is a photo of the head stock. I can't find any info on this lathe - I do understand that ENCO is built in the same set of foreign factories as the rest of the import machine tools, and shares many or all design features with the various versions.

enco lathe.jpg

Any other tips or advise appreciated. I see a fair number of nice looking machines on the various machinist tool groups on FB and other places, but most are a long way from me and impractical to either look at or transport.

I looked for several years before buying something close by. I bought a LD1440 for $2500 so you are looking at some pros vs cons in it being close by and decently priced.

If it’s made in Taiwan that’s a big bonus. The geared head is nice and the qui change gearbox is a “must have“ in my book.

I would say that is an older model. Possible from the 80's?

Definitely an older model- I would examine carefully for spindle bearing issues, apron feed issues, and overall bedwear
Find out what it comes with- you want a steady rest and at least one good chuck

Well, in the time it took to post this and get a few answers, it has been sold. So the search continues.

Thanks for the information anyway.

Be ready with cash in hand. But patience and persistence are your friends.

If you’re not comfortable checking machines out keep asking questions here until you are. There are a few things that will be deal breakers but for the most part older machines that have survived intact will be usable with a little elbow grease and time.

John

Hello - new member that has been lurking for awhile. I have been looking for a lathe for a home shop for some time. Used machine tools in general are scarce in my part of the country. A CL ad popped up for a lathe that's a couple of hours away. It is listed as an ENCO 13X40" gear head lathe and has some tooling with it. Guy is asking $2200. Anyway, here is a photo of the head stock. I can't find any info on this lathe - I do understand that ENCO is built in the same set of foreign factories as the rest of the import machine tools, and shares many or all design features with the various versions.

View attachment 472207

Any other tips or advise appreciated. I see a fair number of nice looking machines on the various machinist tool groups on FB and other places, but most are a long way from me and impractical to either look at or transport.
This lathe was sold by Enco as the

Enco 110-2075 Lathe​

I actually had one of these at one time. They are made in Taiwan and are good lathes. I believe they were made by a Company called "Dashin"

The Dashin lathes were sold under the model name of "Prince" They are slightly different, But the control knobs look the same and the 2 in one speed lever is the same. Here is a pic of the Enco. It's not mine.
1703889813920.png

Back